Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fall fever?

I feel like with the changing of the seasons I always end up feeling stuck in a rut. I get restless and easily bored and easily frustrated. Then the weather kinda evens out and I kinda even out and all's right in the world. I guess I have seasons of my own. 


"Strange Reflections" oil on copper 10"x14"
I've been working on a series of work I'm calling my Reflection Series. I love reflections. I love how something completely true to life can look so abstract and unrecognizable. I've had a lot of fun lately putting things in silver bowls and then painting close-up pictures of them and their weird swirly reflections. However, I feel like I've hit a wall the last couple of days. I'm still trying to figure out if, in situations like that, it's better if I just stop what I'm doing and do something completely different or if I should just keep working. I think today, though, it's time to get out of the studio. I have hundreds (literally) of flower bulbs that my sweet Memaw bought us as a housewarming present. I'm going to go play in the dirt. 
I don't remember who said it, but I heard a quote once about how planting a garden is the epitome of hope. Planting a garden implies faith that spring will come and you'll be around to see your tulips and daffodils bloom. I like that thought. Then maybe I'll come in and play with my art supplies and see if new ideas bloom. If not, at least I'll have tulips in the spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment